The Specialty Hospital at Levindale understands the hardships experienced by patients who require mechanical ventilator support. Our goal is to help our patients breathe on their own again and regain their independence.
Patients with complex respiratory disorders receive care based on the latest protocols, including a tailored ventilator weaning protocols. Our hospital is staffed with respiratory therapists 24 hours a day.
Many patients refereed to us are considered unable to be weaned from a ventilator. Our tailored weaning care plans are designed to liberate patients from mechanical ventilation.
Our patients are treated with an interdisciplinary team approach. Our healthcare professionals, together with our physicians and pulmonologists provide care for all respiratory patients. The team meets regularly to address each patient’s:
- Respiratory and weaning status
- Pulmonary hygiene and suctioning
- Mobilization and rehabilitation
- Nutrition and Medication needs
- Family education and participation
Our hospital provides respiratory care to patients who demonstrate extensive medical complexities. Many of our patients come to us with the following medical conditions:
- Respiratory Failure
- Obstructive Airway Diseases (eg., COPD)
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Neuromuscular Respiratory Insufficiency Syndrome
- Complex wound care
- Chest Tubes
- Frequent blood transfusions
- Frequent labs or other diagnostic testing
- Immunosuppressive Therapy
- LVAD (Left Ventricular Assist Device)
- Complex medical/surgical needs
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Our patients receive comprehensive treatment plans overseen by a physician who makes daily rounds to review the effectiveness of the following therapies:
- Ventilator Management
- Oxygen Therapy
- Aerosol Therapy
- Chest Physio Therapy
- Inspiratory Muscle Training
- Arterial Blood Gases
- Airway Management
- Fiber-Optic Laryngoscope
- Oral Care
- Hand Held Nebulizer Treatments
- Passy-Muir valve placement
- Rapid Response
For more information or to tour The Specialty Hospital of Levindale, call 410-601-2400.
Ventilator Services Program
High Intensity Care Unit
Rehabilitation and Complex Medical Management
Behavioral Health Unit
View a video on Levindale's Telemetry Unit:
For more information or to tour Levindale, call 410-601-2400.
Levindale's TTY phone number is 410-601-2153 for the hearing impaired.