Rehabilitation at the Specialty Hospital at Levindale is life changing. Comprehensive treatment is provided to patients with catastrophic injuries or a lengthy illness or who need post-surgical care. Medical personnel work closely with licensed therapists to create individualized treatment programs for each patient.
Levindale’s rehabilitation professionals serve patients with a wide variety of diagnoses and rehabilitation needs including:
- Ventilator dependency
- Parkinson’s disease
- Heart conditions
- Prosthetics or orthotics
- Swallowing disorders
- Total joint replacement
- Wound care
- Post-fracture rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Brain injury
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Respiratory failure
- IV therapy
Patients in the Specialty Hospital at Levindale receive:
- A minimum of 15 hours of therapy a week
- Coordinated care by a comprehensive interdisciplinary team that includes physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech language pathology, therapeutic recreation, respiratory therapy, social work, dietary and medicine
- Availability of therapy services on weekends
- Community reintegration sessions and home assessments provided as needed to ensure a safe transition to the home environment
The plan of care is individualized for each patient. A physiatrist (rehabilitation physician) provides direction and works closely with the medical doctor, therapy staff and nursing staff to help patients achieve their goals.
Length of Stay
Every patient responds to treatment differently and moves forward at his or her own pace. Following a thorough evaluation by the rehabilitation team, a plan is created based on individual rehabilitation needs. Length of stay may change based upon the progress of the patient.
Physical therapy helps patients regain strength, balance, coordination and endurance and achieve maximum level of mobility.
- Occupational therapy helps patients acquire skills of daily living, including eating, bathing, dressing, toileting and cooking
- Speech-language therapy helps improve swallowing, communication and cognition
- Respiratory therapy is provided 24 hours a day and focuses on regaining the ability to breathe independently
- Therapeutic recreation provides programs and activities designed to meet the physical, cultural, intellectual, social, emotional and creative needs of patients
For more information or to tour Levindale, call 410-601-2400.
Levindale's TTY phone number is 410-601-2153 for the hearing impaired.